6.28.2010

It's Not my Problem


It's not my problem!  Just deal with it! I'm through, finished, done with trying to help you. I know we have all felt that way at some point in time or another. It is hard to know exactly when to throw your hands in the air and say, "I have had enough."

There are a lot of factors that come into play when we make the decision to divorce ourselves from a situation. For example: do you ever really give up on a child? I watched my father for decades as he came to the aid and rescue of his children. He was tired, frustrated and really ticked off at times, but he never gave up.

What about a marriage? Throwing in the towel has become easy, well maybe simple is a better word. Anyone who has gone through a divorce knows its not easy. What act, behavior or obstacle becomes so overwhelming that we are unwilling to try one more time. With a couple of well-placed signatures people sign away decades of work, commitment, shared experiences, not to mention all the collateral damage that is done.

Then there are friends, business associates and organizations that simply are not responsive to feedback, input or help. There are challenges in every relationship that require us to really stop and think about whether we are doing any good. Sometimes we enable people and organizations by allowing them to continue to behave badly. We reinforce bad behavior when it is rewarded or ignored. On the other hand, we really hate to quit on someone (or something) we love.

So, I will ask the question again. When does a realationship become such a headache that we finally say, "It's not my problem. It's on  you! I'm finished."

2 comments:

Vincent Eagan said...

Maybe we give up when we can see the person we are helping isn't even trying to do better. Yes, that calls for judgment on our part, but Jesus did not ever say to never judge - he said to judge a righteous judgment.

Anthony said...

giving up on a relationship is never easy....I speak from experience. And sometimes, you're given a pretty strong sign that the other party is done with you. But it's always 'your problem' and it's always with you, depending on the situation. In my case, I will always wear the scarlett letter of 'divorce'. It will never go away. Even though I'm in a loving, Godly marriage now, I will always be 'divorced', and I have to live with that.