6.21.2010

A belated tribute

In Wild at Heart, John Eldridge spends a good bit of time discussing the "wounds from the father." He talks about how our fathers have left scars that we must bring to reconciliation. While there are difficult memories of trying times growing up, there is a fundemental truth that over-rides every  harsh word, or errant action of my own father - HE LOVED US.

Yes, he had a strange way of showing it sometimes. He was a hard man! He was old-school when it came to discipline! He certainly was not the great communicator, but you couldn't question his love for his family. How many times did he come to our rescue? How often did he bail us out of trouble? He put groceries on the table, paid for a college education and provided well for my mother even after his death.

I believe there is a problem in our society with wanting to blame somebody for the circumstances of our own lives and parents are easy targets. I haven't lived a perfect life and if my children choose to focus on my mistakes, there are plenty for them to choose from. I have failed them at times, I have not always set the best example, but I feel the most guilt when I see them making mistakes they learned from me. Even with all that, if I can accomplish two goals in raising my children, I will take whatever criticism and harsh words that may be etched on my legacy:
  1. May my children always know that I loved them. I know my father loved me and "love covers a multitude of sins." Whatever else happens in this world - know that I love you unconditionally.
  2. God loves you! Where I have failed with my imperfect love, God loves you perfectly, genuinely and completely. His arms are always open to you and forgiveness is just a whisper away.
So to all the dads who have messed up, failed miserably, and fallen short of the Huxtable model of parenthood - there is still a path to redemption. Remind your children today how much you love them. Tell them, show them, and bestow upon them an endless flow of love and understanding.

No comments: