6.24.2010

Broken

I recieved a call a few weeks ago asking me to speak on the topic of Healing from Broken Relationships. Having been through a divorce and a couple of challenging business relationships in my life, I have a little insight into the topic.

For the past few weeks I have been scanning pictures back into my computer. Inevitably when that happens a certain picture, or event from the past comes to light that stirs the emotions, opens an old wound, or may even brings back fond memories of days gone by. When I think about that it reminds me that healing can take place, but the scars don't always go away.

When I was 13 I ran my finger through a bandsaw at school. It cost me my spot on the baseball team and I have never fully recovered from that lost season. Today, that little finger is still twisted and only enjoys limited function. It has healed completely, but it will never be what it once was. I realize that as a metaphor that sounds rather dark and discouraging, but I am not saying we don't recover, we do and in recovering we make adjustments for the wounds from our past.

The periods of brokeness in my life have made me stronger. I worked harder at my baseball skills, struggled to regain strength in my finger so I can butcher the guitar. I pay closer attention now to all my relationships. Being broken isn't a bad thing, staying broken is devastating.

I will always have memories of good times and bad.

1 comment:

ron doyle said...

Most excellent, Trent