6.21.2010

Church 2.0


Web 2.0 is commonly associated with web applications that facilitate interactive information sharing, user-centered design, and collaboration on the World Wide Web. Rather than every individual building their own proprietary platforms and programs, creative minds work together building, improving and advancing applications through collaboration.

I have worked with churches and faith-based initiatives for over 25 years. I have been blessed to work with the most tender-hearted, loving and compassionate people you would ever want to meet, but somehow the word collaboration never seems to enter their vocabularly. They can be so passionate about their church, their ministry, their vision of a better world that they fail to see the power of working together in an open environmnet.

So I sit here today asking myself, "why the reluctance to work together?" These are a few of the answers that came to mind.
  1. EGO! I know better than anyone else what my community, my charity, and my program needs.I have run into this in business and I see it all the time in ministry. It is a failed mission when it becomes all about me and not about the people I serve.
  2. FEAR! I could write an entire blog about fear. We are afraid of losing control, afraid of losing donations, afraid that others ideas might outshine our own, afraid that our true motives might come to light. Fear is crippling, we can never grow a good work if we are continually motivated by fear.
  3. MONEY! It is hard enough to find the money in today's economy, if I collaborate with others, the funds will be diluted. Nothing is further from the truth. A true spirit of collaboration will increase donations to both. People will begin to see it is about the mission. Money follows purpose, not personality.
In the computer world everyone is winning from the Web 2.0 movement. Better programs,  better platforms, better ideas are coming from collaborative efforts. Maybe its time for Church 2.0. A global assembly of God's people committed to the common good, growth and development of Christian principles and ministry.

Sadly, we remain divided in so many areas: Thomas Mott once said, "The price we have paid for a divided Christendom is an unbelieving world."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have always tried to approach teaching like this. I want my thoughts to spur much more thought and application in the heart of the hearer. I believe I have accomplished my goal if someone else can build on my words (and make them better and more relevant)and reach more hearts. If a simple concept I have thought of inspires someone truly creative I find great satisfaction.

Tim