6.23.2010

The Kanon of Life

In the old Greek language, the term "kanon" referred to a stick or a measuring rod. We might compare it to a ruler or a tape measure. Over time the word transformed to apply to the thing being measured. In scholarly circles it is most often used in its application to the kanon of scripture. What standards must be met before we accept a book or teaching as inspired.

Stop for just a minute as ask yourself about, "the kanon of life." What is your standard for the legacy you hope to leave? What criteria have you set for yourself to measure the excellence of your life. Conversations get interesting when we start talking about ourselves, because it reveals a lot about our motives. We tend to exalt the good and ignore the bad.
  • I was a good parent, or provider for my children.
  • I always worked hard and gave 100% to my employer.
  • I was a good neighbor, citizen, friend to those around me.
We all have our own lists, but even those are based in our own prejudice and bias. What makes you a good parent, employee or friend? Would those around you draw the same conclusions? And then there is always that sticky, pesty standard - what does God think?

I like Stephen Covey's way of looking at our legacy, or the kanon of our life. If I were attending my own funeral and 4 people were selected to speak (a family member, community leader, religious leader and co-worker), what would I want them to say. Now that I can look at the standard I want for my life, how am I going to get there? What needs to change?

The Bible gives us some pretty good advice about the standards we set for ourselves, "When they measure themselves by themselves and compare themselves with themselves, they are not wise" (2 Corinthians 10:12).

No comments: