6.15.2010

LIghten Up

I have done some pretty ignorant things in my life. From high school antics that nearly landed me in jail, to thrill-seeking adventures in developing countries that could have gotten me killed. With the exception of those times my actions and behaviors really hurt other people, I've had a great life.

I have accidentally walked into women's rest rooms and laughed at myself later. I have stood in the midst of crowded theme parks and done the YMCA song just to embarrass my children. Last year I decided to do a little Lynyrd Skynyrd karaoke on the cruise ship, only to be mocked by someone who sings even worse than I do.

Isn't it time we all lightened up a little bit and learn to live. Jane Austen wrote in one of her books, "What do we live for but to make sport for our neighbors and laugh at them in our turn." With that in mind I only have two suggestions in today's blog:
  1. Learn to laugh at yourself. Don't be shy, don't be ashamed, don't be afraid. If you are living life with the volume turned all the way up, people will stare, they will make comments, they may even try to impune your character - so what. Don't rob yourself of the joy of the moment and don't let others rob you of it either.
  2. Cut others some slack. If you haven't read "The Sisters of Angelica" post I added a couple of weeks ago, go back and read it. These women were loud, obnoxious and absolutely hilarious. I almost missed the chance to join in the revelry by judging them. Most people are just trying to squeeze a little joy out of the day. Who are we to rob them of that moment.
So, lighten up. Go out tonight and dance under the stars. Walk up and talk to a stranger in the supermarket (tell them you like their shoes and see what happens). Pick up the phone and swap a childhood memory with an old friend.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I ALREADY tell people I like their shoes, when in the supermarket!!!

Or their hair, or bag or whatever. If it is the truth then why not say it? I have had people say things to me and it has made my day! You are right, we all need to lighten up.