6.10.2010

God, I've got a Question

I have suffered through some dark days during my past. There were times I wondered if I could keep groceries on the table, and times I worried that God had forgotten me completely. During those times, I often made a tragic mistake in climbing out of my doldrums. I turned to everyone but God. I borrowed from friends, made decisions without counsel and generally had my priorities out of whack.

This week I have been reading about the "power of God in us" (Eph. 3:20). God works in us and through us, so do Christ and the Holy Spirit. We have a comforter, guide, and intercessor when life gets hard, or simply if we need to turn somewhere for counsel. Why is it that God is always the last one on our list of advisors when we need help?

Next time you need help with anything (your kids, your finances, your emotional stability, even your faith) try turning to God first. Here are 5 reasons you should lean on God daily:
  1. "He is able . . ." (Eph. 3:20).  Able to do more than you ask, able to do more than you can imagine. Where others can and will fail, God is able.
  2. "He will never leave you nor forsake you. . ." (Heb. 13:5). It is kind of nice to have someone to depend on when the rest of the world walks out.
  3. "He cares for you . . ." (I Peter 5:7). Peter reminds us that we can turn our cares and worries over to the Lord because he genuinely cares for you.
  4. He has endless resources. (Psalms 50:10). If you really want help you need to ask the one who has an endless supply of resources. "The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof. . ." (Psalms 24:1)
  5. He promises to provde (Matt. 7:7-12). Ask, Seek, Knock - God is calling us to test him, challenge him, lay our needs before him.
My job consists of asking donors to give. It can be trying at times and like a sales position, the pressure is always on. Imagine the comfort I recieved about a month ago when a donor made a significant gift and then said, "Call me in the fall for my end of year gift, or if you ever need anything just pick up the phone." I trust him when he tells me that.

God is asking us to "just pick up the phone." Ask, seek, knock! Lean on Him, trust Him, turn to Him for all  your cares and needs.

No comments: