4.08.2010

Objectivity

Objectivity: "the expression of or dealing with facts in a situation without the distoration of personal feelings."

I look at that definition and ask myself, "Is that really possible?" Can I truly divorce my feelings, experiences and personal bias from any situation. Without sounding like some raving, liberal lunatic - isn't there a sense of subjectivity to every situation?

We are never free of our own experiences, study or influences. In raising children, my philosophy is directly related to a few important factors: 1) How I was raised as a child; 2) The things I have read and studied through the years; 3) The experiences I have in dealing with situations involving my children. My approach to raising children is highly subjective and yet I have strong feelings that I am right!!!

I guess that I will have to take issue with Merriam Webster. His definition says that objectivity is dealing with facts without the distortion of personal feelings. I am of the opinion that personal feelings (and experiences) are not a distortion, but a gift from God. My life has been molded and shaped through those feelings and experiences. I have learned hard truths through the the school of hard knocks. While there are situations that I cannot provide imperical evidence to support - I know, through experience and feelings that my decisions are sound.

So, next time someone tells you their objective opinion (a contradiction in and of itself), ask them what shaped the advice they are giving? Is it based on absolute, unequivocal fact; or is it the culmination of a lifetime of experiences and learning?

1 comment:

Trent Wheeler said...

This is not about the infallable nature of God's word. This post is intended to challenge our thought that we act "objectively."

Subjectivity is not always a bad thing. There are great life lessons that come through experience - even the term used in scripture to define a certain kind of knowledge (epignosis) defines a knowledge the comes through experience.