4.19.2010

Family

He was a hard man who lived a hard life. As a child I didn't always understand his approach to discipline, the clear contradictions in character or his solemn, stern demeanor - but he loved us. He worked hard everyday for his family, he saved, planned and prepared to provide for his wife when he was gone, he gave of himself from the places that hadn't been wounded in his own child hood. He was my father and I love him.

She looked at life as a gift from God and a debt to be paid back to Him. Her gentleness, love, kindness and compassion were known by all. She sacrificed her heart and posessions to provide for her children. She sheltered them from pain and often took the brunt of others anger to insulate her children. We often laughed and her puritan ideals, but she always acted in the interest of others. She was my mother and I will always carry her in my heart.

They had tongues like adders and were unrelentless in their persecution of one another. They fought like cats and dogs, argued like master debaters, and competed like it was superbowl Sunday. But when outsiders threatened, or trouble came they banded together like soldiers in a fox hole. There is a depth of love that is missed by those on the outside. It has hard to see through the sarcasm and competition, but these are men that would die for one another, but more than that, they have lived for one another. These are my brothers.

They frustrated me, angered me and times they broke my heart. Because of them I have known my greatest sorrows, but I have also experienced my greatest joys. God has filled their hearts with love for their fellow man, a desire to walk in righteousness, and a mind to accomplish any goal they set for themselves. They are a part of me. As much as I would feel a spike piercing my hand, I feel every pain they feel, and share every heartache. They are my children and the greatest gift God has ever given me.

There is nothing like family. Through them we love, hate, hurt, laugh and learn. They are our refuge when we are weak, our shelter when we are tired and our fortress when enemies would attack. Thank you God for family.

No comments: