2.21.2010

Redefining your dreams

When I was a child I used to dream about being a professional baseball player. In the summers I would leave the house after breakfast and play ball until it was too dark to see. I pictured myself hitting the home run in the bottom of the ninth inning, or turning an unassisted double-play to end the game.

By high school I knew I wasn't destined for fame as a professional athelete and soon other dreams and ambitions begin to fill my mind. A successful entrepreneur, a famous attorney, a gifted writer. My mind explored lots of possibilities and I have seen my share of successes and failures along the way. Through it all I learned a couple of important lessons:
  1. I can't expect anyone else to be as excited about my dreams as I am. In many cases, there are those who would squash my dreams, or serve as obstacles along the way.
  2. I may have to redefine my dreams along the way. Sometimes life just says NO!
A couple of years ago I had my life planned out pretty clearly. My work, family and future all looked pretty bright, but I soon realized that everyone wasn't reading from the same script. I could have become bitter, disappointed, or just given up, but what I choose to do is redefine my dreams.

The world may laugh as I battle windmills, or encourage me to stay down when life delivers another blow, but that just isn't my nature. If you want me to stay down, you better knock me out. If you expect me to quit, or surrender to the naysayers or pessimists of this world you don't know me too well.

Its never too late to live your dreams.

No comments: