2.23.2010

Living Vicariously

When I walked into my office this morning, the buzz among all the women was about the Bachelor, tomorrow it will what happened on American Idol and next week it will be whatever scandal was uncovered by the National Enquirer.

Why is the United States so consumed with "reality" television. I fear it is because most of us have surrendered. We quit pursuing our dreams and have become content in living vicariously through a 42 inch flat panel screen.

I love the Olympics - especially the back-stories of hope and inspiration. I was transfixed as the United States Hockey Team held off Canada for an amazing win on Sunday evening. Its not the Bachelor, or American Idol, but I was still living vicariously through my national pride, through my passion for sports - all the while sitting on the sofa accomplishing nothing of real value.

Our problem in America isn't selecting a television show we love and following it, or the occasionaly guilty pleasure of looking through the shades at how others live (or pretend to live). The problem is that it has become a national epidemic. I get home from work and my personal operation system defaults to ESPN.

I have set some ambitioius goals for 2010, but they will never be accomplished if I spend 15 - 20 hours a week in front of a television set. I want to live the life for myself, not through some emotional connection to a bachelor, or athelete or adventures show contestant.

So how about joining me in devoting at least one hour a day to personal development, to pursuing your goals, to living your dreams. Let others live vicariously through your successes. As a friend of mine says at the bottom of all his emails - "Be the weapon and not the meal."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks Trent, excessive tv watching is something we are addressing this year as well. It sure makes a difference to what gets accomplished

Mike Emerson said...

TV, Facebook, and Internet, all are effective at disabling us. As I continue to work on lowering the presence of these tools of lesser value, I will continue to think about this blog. Thanks for the great thoughts, and the challenge.