2.05.2010

Accepting Responsibility

"I think of a hero as someone who understands the degree of responsibility that comes with his freedom."  Bob Dylan

I used to think that it was prudent to exercise restraint in most situations, but that philosophy of life is sure to get you stepped on. There are times you need to confront the idiots, ideologues and irresponsible people who are perfectly content to dump their garbage in your front yard.

I really don't have a problem with confrontation anymore. What does irritate me are people who think that you shouldn't have to take responsibility for the stands you take.  If you are going to get in someone's face, confront an issue at the office, or in your church, or just chew out someone who get's on your nerves, then understand there is a price to pay.

So next time you think, "I sure would love to give him/her a piece of my mind." Go for it!, but don't expect to recieve candy on Valentine's Day, or use them as a reference on your resume. Stand up for what you believe is right - then be willing to take the fallout that comes from being a person of principle.

Trent Wheeler

No comments: