2.25.2010

Embracing Freedom

At times our fight for freedom and liberty are collective efforts. We band together against an oppressive government, we lobby for the restoration of certain "inalienable rights," or we join a rally, political party or PAC.

The real embrace of freedom however is a personal choice in how we live. It is the difference in wanting to do a thing and having to do it. Most mornings I choose to get up and go to work because I love what I do - it makes a difference and helps people. For a good portion of my life I struggled to meet others expectations. I let other people put me in their little box and I tried to live accordingly.

One of the most liberating revelations I have had in my life is learning to say - NO! No, I don't have time right now. No, that isn't in my area of expertise. No, I just don't feel like it. That sounds a little indulgent, but I am afraid that all too often in life we err on the other side through surrender. I am worried about what people think if I don't serve. I am afraid I won't be held in the same esteem if I say no. I don't want to be viewed as selfish, or seeking my own needs.

Serving out of desire, out of passion for what you do not only gives you an individual sense of liberty and freedom, it also allows your greatest gifts to rise to the top. Your freedom is not bestowed on you by government,  your employer or even your family. Freedom comes when you choose to have an untethered mind, to know and understand who you are and live to your potential - not the potential or ideas others have defined for you.

Trent Wheeler

No comments: