7.13.2010

Who you trying to impress?

I hate to admit it, but there are times I still go out of my way to impress people. What is that old saying, "I buy things I don't need, with money I don't have to impress people I don't like." After 25 years of working in circles where your reputation can often determine your job security - it is hard to break out of that mold.

We have all heard people say, "I don't care what you think," when what they really mean is "I care deeply about what you think or I wouldn't be so upset with you right now." In many areas of my life I have done a pretty good job in learning to be true to myself and to God. It took a lot of years to realize that no matter what decisions you make in life, you are going to tick somebody off. So if some element of my friends, family and fellow Christians are going to be unhappy with me anyway - at least I can look in the mirror with a clear conscience.

We put a lot of unnecessary pessure on ourselves by worrying about what other people think. A friend had a post of Facebook that cracked me up. It said something to the affect of, "Don't come to my house and complain about my pets. 1.) It's my house - there is a reason they live here and you don't; 2) I love my pets, they are part of our family; 3) If you don't want pet hair on your cloths, don't sit on the furniture, that is why they call it  FUR - niture."

Now that is all tongue in cheek, but it makes a good point. For the most part, we are guests in other people's lives. We are put there to encourage them, strengthen them and lift them up. I'm not saying there aren't times we need "intercessions" when self-destructive behavior is going on, but that is the exception. Why do we feel the need to FIX everyone but ourselves?

I like motorcycles. If you don't like them great - don't ride, but you don't need to feel obligated to tell me how foolish, or dangerous, or irresponsible my behavior is. I know the risks. I like dangerous, exciting, mind-bending experiences. They make me feel alive. Do you really think you are the first person to reveal the dangers to me?

I have friends from all walks of life. Some of them may not always be the most desireable characters (yes, that could be you), but they are my friends. They don't all speak the same language, or live the same way, but they are my friends. I know I Cor. 15:33 says, "bad company corrupts good charcater." I also know Jesus ate with publicans and sinners, and that we are called to be light, salt and leaven to those around us.

I know I am an example to others, that is the very reason I have attempted to take off my mask and be real and genuine. For the most part, you get to see the real me - warts, blemishes and wrinkles. You may not like what you see sometimes, but you know what you are getting is the real deal.

I can take it (most of the time). If you want to take your mask off and liberate yourself from silly people who may be well-meaning, but misguided, there is a price to pay. People will criticize you, be offended by your openness and make all kinds of crazy assumptions. That is the price of freedom and liberty - taking responsibility for the decisions we make.

No comments: