7.20.2010

My greatest gift

I still recall walking down that peaceful backround in Honduras when I wandered on the little girl in the picture to your right. She lived in a run down little shack and you can see how her eyes lit up when we gave her a hand made doll, sandwich and a few crackers.  As Paul Harvey would say, "and now for the rest of the story."

When we came back from our trek down to a small village, she was waiting for us at the gate. She wasn't waiting for more food or gifts, but had two small bags of fruit she had gathered to give back to us. It was one of the most humbling moments in my life. I gave out of abundance and she gave out of her poverty and want.

Through the years I have learned that my greatest gifts also come through my own poverty and want. Sometimes that has been financial (streching myself to help someone else), other times it is out of the emotional poverty that exists because of tragedy, heartache or struggles in my own life. Somehow those gifts seem to have a deeper purpose and meaning.

My personal challenges in life are not secret to those who regularly read my blogs. They have included a divorce, financial struggles at times and bouts with discouragement and depression. I used to look back on those times and see the scars and failures, but strangely they turned into blessings. Not blessings for me, but others.

We laugh at the comic renditions of "I feel your pain," but there is real value in sincere empathy towards others who have struggled. The greatest gifts I have to give are the hope and promise that come in those shared experiences. Having been through the fire of affliction, I can assure others there is so much good on the other side.

So, what do you have to give? What is your greatest gift to others?

No comments: