7.26.2010

Break the Rules

On the occasion of my son graduating high school, and again college, I gave  him writing journals (a passion I share with all four of my children). On page one of those journals are "rules for life." I think it is rule #6 or #7 that says, "sometimes you have to break the rules, wisdom is knowing which rules to break."

I hate rules, policies, guidelines, ordinances and laws. I am also not too fond of suggestions, input, oversight or guidance. I would make a great Libertarian if it wasn't for my longstanding religious and moral convictions.

That being said, I was reading Seth Godin's blog today and I was inspired by this simple conclusion, "If the only alternative is slow and painful failure, the way to get unstuck is to blow up a constraint, deal with the pain and then run forward. Fast."

That is not a very popular view among rule-mongers and law-makers. It strikes at the heart of legalists and Pharisees, but I love it. Sometimes you have to turn over the apple cart, shake up the status quo, or do something to stop the slow painful descent into apathy and complanceny.

I get lots of criticisms for my blogs (yes, I also get more praise than I deserve), because I say what is on my mind. Totally unfiltered, unrestrained, untethered remarks of where I am in that moment of time. I am happiest when my thoughts stir others to thought or action. If I encroached on your comfort zone all I can say is Hallelujah and Amen. Maybe, just maybe you will come back tomorrow to see whose buttons I am pushing.

Just for today - break a rule, just for the fun of it.

No comments: