1.22.2010

Find something to do.


"Big jobs usually go to the men who have the ability to outgrow the small ones." Teddy Roosevelt

I still remember my first real job. I was doing grunt work at a food plant where my dad worked. One day after lunch I was sitting on a loading dock waiting for my boss to come tell me what to do next when I heard a loud, gruff voice shout out, "Get off your ____ and find something to do." My father wasn't particularly gentle when it came to crossing certain lines of expectation.

I hate to hear people whine about how bad life is (especially when they are sitting around doing nothing). I am not a fan of the social welfare system, or any system that gives people something they are perfectly capabale of working for.

Everyone wants the executive office, the promotion, or they have the next great idea that will change the way we slice bread, but so few people are willing to take responsibility for their dreams. You want to live your dream, you want to have an exceptional life - then get up and find something to do. Take at least one practical step in the direction of your dreams. Still struggling? Here are a few ideas:
  1. Take 10 minutes today to write down your dreams.
  2. Make a list of some of the things it will take to reach your dreams.
  3. Accomplish at least one small item on that list. It may be as simple as avoiding Starbucks and putting that $5.00 in a savings account.
If you truly want to succeed, you need to take charge of today. You are the one who can make it happen.

No comments: