11.26.2011

For my children . . .

What  would you sacrifice for your children? I have been guilty of the same platitudes that we all engage in at times (i.e. There isn't anything I wouldn't do for my children). I know I have said that more than once, but sadly, the truth is that I haven't always lived it. If I truly would do anything for the good of my children, I would have:
  •  been a better example to them in life and conduct.
  • I would have set higher standards for them to live by.
  • I would have set aside my own interests if I knew it was for their good.
  • I would have been more careful about thier friendships and the influences I allowed in tieir lives.
What is the old saying, "Hindsight is 20-20." It sure would be nice at times to go back knowing what I know today. I remember an older lady who took me aside when I was a new father and gave me some really good advice about raising children, just two or three simple instructions that guided a lot of my philosophy through the years. At times other more mature individuals added to those teachings and in almost every case it was good advice (mostly because they were lessons they learned by experience).

We all would change things if we had the opportunity to go back in time, but if I had one thing to change and one thing only it would be this - I would seek the counsel of those who had raised faithful, dedicated Christian children. Experience is a great teacher, but who says we have to learn from our own experiences (or even our own mistakes). I often plead with my children to learn from my mistakes, don't repeat them.

So to parents everywhere, especially those of you who truly love your children - seek the counsel of older, wiser and more experienced Christian parents. They have so much to offer and most of them are simply waiting to be asked.

No comments: