11.15.2011

When prayer falters and doubts ensue . . .

Most of you who read my blog know that I am an optimist - sometimes even to the point of being irritating. Most days I can overcome any obstacle thrown in my path, or put a positive spin on a lousy day. I am convinced that working in regions of the world where there is hunger, want and extreme poverty has a lot to do with being thankful for even the simplest things.

All that being said, where does the optimist go when he is having a really bad day? How do I muddle through when my prayer life feels weak and doubts are swirling all around? For most of my life this is pretty unfamiliar territory. That makes it that much harder when I have those moments of extreme weakness and doubt. I really don't exercise those spiritual muscles very often.

I share these thoughts with the world because I know I am not the only one who has these struggles. I learned a number of years ago that transparency not only brings about personal healing, but it encourages others to fight on. I am weak, sinful, and sometimes just a walking contradiction looking for some clarity.

So here I sit asking God for answers to some really hard questions in life and wondering what answers will come - if any (told you I had some doubts). He must really get tired of all those WHY questions we ask. Why is this happening to me? Why is life so unfair? Why don't you do something with this crazy mixed up world we live in?

There are no answers in tonight's blog. No placebo's to get you through a trying day. No five point plan to a successful life. Just a fellow pilgrim on a long and winding journey wondering what tomorrow will bring.

No comments: