12.06.2011

Our Daily Bread

When Jesus was giving instruction on prayer, one of the phrases I believe we take for granted is "Give us today our daily bread" (Matthew 6:12). For many years I considered this a figure of speech until I began to work in countries where families didn't just pray for their daily bread, they begged for it.

I am more and more convinced that we have taken the really challenging teachings of Jesus and watered them down so we won't feel bad in our bloated western culture. We have so much food in our house that we have a special pantry in our garage to handle the overflow. At least we were honest enough to give it an appropriate acronym - the PIG (Pantry In the Garage).

This past week I was reading the story of the Exodus when a stunning, yet simple realization came over me. God's people, a nation of three to five million were dependent upon God on a daily basis. Listen to what the text says in Exodus 16, "I will rain down bread from heaven for you. The people are to go out each day and gather enough for that day. In this way I will test them and see whether they will follow my instructions. On the sixth day they are to prepare what they bring in, and that is to be twice as much as they gather the other days" (v. 4, 5).

God was going to test his people to see if they trusted Him to provide for them daily. Those who trusted always found there was sufficient food. Those who lacked faith had their bread filled with maggots and had to deal with the stench of disobedience.

The lesson for the Israelites should not be lost on us. God still demands that we walk daily by faith and that includes our material posessions. Look forward a few verses in Matthew 6 and consider what Jesus says, "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also" (vs. 19-21). Do you really think it is a coincidence that Jesus teachings are similar to those of God in the wilderness? Store up treasures for yourself here on earth and they too will will suffer corruption.

Give us this day, our daily bread - a figure of speech?  I think not! It is time for each of us to return to a daily dependence on God.

1 comment:

Scott Bond, Spring Hill, TN said...

Glad you're thinking about this too! I wonder how differently I'd use my days and dollars If my heart 100% trusted his daily provision. His daily gifts require me to gather & be grateful. Hope my joy is always more in gratitude to God than in gathering from God. Love your work & example Trent!