11.01.2011

Roadmap to Success

The best advice I ever recieved was from a dear friend who shared his secrets to success. At the end of each year he would evaluate each area of his business model to determine what was productive. After a careful review he would take the bottom 20% and remove it from his business plan for the coming year. It wasn't always that these areas were unproductive - they simply were the least productive areas of his business. Once that was accomplished he looked over new opportunities and selected what he believed where the best areas to add to his existing plan. Over a period of a few years my friend went from owing over six-figures to the IRS to being, well let's say - VERY COMFORTABLE.

Now it is time for me to take the same approach, not only to my business, but to my life. At age 52 I have become much more interested in the quality of life than I am the quanitity of things I can acquire. So as I look forward to 2012 I have to stop and ask myself what areas of my life are bringing me the most joy, and which areas are just taking wasted space in my day. These may sound trite and obvious - but it is amzing how quickly I can lose sight of my priorities and get caught up in the mundane.

Most Productive:
  • Time spent in Bible Study & Prayer
  • Time spent with my family
  • Time spent with friends and loved ones
  • Time spent in forwarding the mission of African Christian Schools
  • Focusing on diet an:d exercise
Least Productive:
  • Watching Television
  • Playing on Facebook
  • Playing Angry Birds
  • Worrying over things that won't make a lick of difference 50 years from now.
Things to incorporate into the coming year:
  • More time writing my blogs & books
  • More time spent in exercise
  • More time spent in reading good books that will improve my mind.
It all sounds really profound as I sit here on the first of November mulling over the past and making plans for the future, but it is amazingly difficult to implement. Plans are wonderful, goals are essential but EXECUTION is the key to success. So now I start the painful process of trying to execute my plans for Roadmap for 2012 - how about you join me for the ride?

No comments: