9.19.2010

Legalism Run Rampant

There is no question that at times I struggle with authority. I am not particularly fond of rules and regulations and I probably view far too many things in this life as "suggestions."  My rebellious nature covers all but one area of my life - that is my view of Biblical Authority. The Bible is God-breathed, inspired, infallable and innerrant - of this I have no doubt.

My problem isn't with the Bible, it's laws or precepts, but with the individual's interpretation of the Bible. Most of you recall the passage, "no prophecy of scripture is given for private interpretation..." (2 Peter 1:20), still we insist on making silly, foolish laws that suit our own personal interpretation. "You have to wear a tie, if you are serving the Lord's supper" or "raising your hands in prayer or song is a distraction to other worshippers." I could start a lengthy list of all the foolish laws and rules we make that suit our personal preference for worship, for Christian living, for personal conduct, etc.

Most of those objections begin with I THINK, "I think God wants us to give him our best," or "I don't think a Christian should . . ."  We all have opinions, but when we begin to subtitute those opinions for law we run into problems.  I can hear someone right now thinking, "well God does want our best."  I have no argument with that, it is our opinionated application of that belief that usually gets us into trouble. Our opinion of what is best is an arbitrary standard. God on the other hand is looking at my heart, which to be perfectly honest is of much great concern to me than men's opinions.

The problem arises because of our applicaiton of Christian liberty. I want this liberty extended to me when I seek to "work out my own salvation with fear and trembling" (Phil 2:12), but I am reluctant to let my brother or sister do the same. I don't trust their judgment, reverence or interpretation of the scriptures. Even worse, I don't respect those areas that do allow us to exercise personal choice.

We all have a lot of burdens we carry in life. I pray we will be cautious not to add to another's burden by heaping on them laws, rules and opinions that they cannot bear.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Trent, it's been a long time but I believe that we could have a long and interesting conversation on this subject. My comment: Christians (of all stripes) tend to miss the difference between the nuances of the concept of "salvation". Often what is, in the Bible, the process of being conformed to the image of Christ (what many theologians refer to as "sanctification") is blurred with the "one-time" action whereby we are made righteous despite our sin ("justification").

Legalism is the accursed teaching that justification is based on a sinner's obedience to law. This is clearly condemned in Galatians (and elsewhere).

Being "legalistic" is where I believe you are going with your blog. Not quite so insidious as legalism but hurtful nonetheless.