9.14.2010

I want to wallow . . .

I remember when my daughter was in her early teens and suffered some devastating event in her life (like breaking up with a boyfriend). She didn't run to therapy, or go to her room and burn all of his pictures - she had a very simple approach to her moments of despair - "WALLOW."  For her that meant renting a funny movie, inviting a friend over to help skewer the EX and consume large quantities of Blue Bell Ice Cream (I really should be getting an ice cream endorsement here).

I am 51 and really not much different. When life gives me lemons I am not interested in making lemonade. I am not ready to suck it up and get on with life. What I really want, is to go to my man cave with a large meat-lover's pizza (Pizza Hutt endorsement embedded here), bag of chips and plenty of liquid refreshment. Let me close the door and for the next few days (especially if its a weekend), leave me alone to watch football, cop shows and movies where lots of things get blown up. I guess that is a man's answer to wallowing.

If I find myself too sedentary, then I may want to get out in the woods and shoot something, or get in a pick up football game and hit somebody. It is amazing how a little carnage (whether on television, or on the field of competition), can sooth the restless soul.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am totally with you Trent. We need moments to recharge our batteries, especially when they are drained in our fast-paced world and the high expectations placed on us all. And during those times, you certainly don't want to be fed happy anecdotes, either. It says in Eccl 3:4
"...a time to weep, and a time to laugh;
a time to mourn, and a time to dance..."
Wallow, get through it, come out stronger for it. That's what God intended.

Good post...Thanks for being so candid!