5.31.2011

Truth: Speak it or Hear it.

A good friend posed a difficult question - "Is it more difficult to speak the truth, or to hear the truth."

Without trying to cop-out, my mind immediately races to all the variables that can arise in any given situation:
  • Do I like or dislike the person? Whether giving or recieving wise counsel the relationship behind the action has a lot to do with receptiveness.
  • Does the topic being addressed fall into a sensitive area? I am much more likely to recieve advice about losing 20 lbs than I am about my parenting skills or problems with my children. We all have areas where a natural defensiveness takes over.
  • What the motives behind the instruction? If our goal is to "get our pound of flesh" or "even the score" the chances are we are undermining any opportunity at delivering or recieving a truthful, objective opinion.
All that being said, real maturity comes when we are able to disassociate the message from the messenger. I show the greatest level of responsible behavior when I try to objectively look at the information and determine it's validity (regardless of the source, or motives behind it).

As to the question at the start - is it more difficult to speak the truth, or recieve it? I can only speak for myself!  If you hit a sensitive cord, I am going to have a hard time hearing what is said. In speaking the truth to others - if it is someone I truly love and care for, the task becomes much, much more difficult.

No comments: