5.05.2011

Halfway to Happy

While relaxing at Starbucks this afternoon I was reading from my Kindle when I ran across a phrase that caught my attention. The author said that he was, "halfway to happy." You know how some phrases just resonate with you - this one struck a nerve. How many times has that statement been true for me? How often do we let some silly, little circumstance in life interrupt our happiness.

We have all heard that trite and overworked saying, "Life is a journey, not a destination," but few of us live like we believe it. How often do we postpone happiness thinking that someday we will arrive. "I can't wait for summer, or my tax return, or my new job, or the kids to go off to school, or the kids to come home from school." We trade the happiness that this very moment has to offer  in exchange for some fleeting ideal of what happiness is supposed to be  - we live "HALFWAY TO HAPPY.

The problem with living in HALFWAY is that we never arrive at our destination. Oh the tax return may come early, or the weather may warm up, but as soon as it does we start a new journey to HAPPYTOWN. We repeat the same cycle, but with new stuff waiting at our destination. Can't wait to retire, or my tennis match on Saturday, or my car to be paid off.

Why do we do this to ourselves? Today is a perfectly good day. It has 24 hours in it. It is loaded with opportunities, challenges, places to go, things to accomplish and the only thing that can ruin it is my state of mind. I am tired living halfway to happy - today I am reminded to embrace the journey. This is the day that the Lord has made - rejoice and be glad in it. (Pslams 118:24).

No comments: