5.27.2011

Removing the Veil

I am often amazed at the personal issues people reveal on their social network pages. Facebook, Myspace and other platforms have added new meaning to the words "too much information," yet I find myself struggling with that question when I sit down to my blog. How much of my personal life do I share with others? When are my experiences beneficial to the growth and development of my readers and when are they just the ramblings of a man seeking a deeper understanding of life.

I was reading through some old journals this evening and ran across a lengthy entry I wrote when I was extremely discouraged with things in my personal life. I was actually a little rattled by the depth of despair that seemed evident in my words. I don't want to weigh you down with the entire 6 pages, but here is an excerpt:

"Help me to understand why the path to heaven leads me throught he gates of hell? How can my journey towards the light be shrouded in so much darkness? 'Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil.'  Where did David find so much understanding? How could his faith be so great in the midst of tragic heartache? Thomas doubted! Job questioned! Peter even denied you - still they found themselves in you. Take me to your throne room and reveal to me your glory..."

I know that others experience the same feelings of euphoria and heartache, triumph and tragedy that I do. I write publicly in hopes that others might connect with those feelings and realize that we are never alone. Not only does God walk by our side, but many of our peers know our sorrows and long to hold our hands as we wander through the hard times and struggle in the darkness.

So back to my concerns. When do we remove the veil and reveal who we really are to those around us? Are my public rants of benefit to others, or are they simply an exercise in self-indulgence? I can't be sure, but tonight while I was reading the old entries one comforting thought came to light - these are gifts to my children. In my old journals they will see the old man as he really was - strong and courageous on somedays, weak and fallen on others. They will see the struggle, but hopefully they will see an unending pursuit towards "the prize of the high calling which is in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 3:14).

No comments: