5.18.2011

Going Home II

Fort Ponchartrain du Détroit was first founded in 1701 by some French missionaries. The city has a long history having been under the rule of three different countries (France, Britian and United States). When I return to my old home town I have different memories! Pine Knob Amphitheater, Joe Louis Arena, Tiger Stadium and Hines Park.

Monday I was bit overwhelmed by all the poverty and terrible impact our economy has had on Detroit, but being back in Michigan has also reminded me of all the good things I had growing up. While I drove around the old  city today listening to the classic oldies I heard growing up there was that eiree de javu feeling you get when things feel very familiar.

Coming home I am reminded at just how many friends I still have here. My parents retired and moved to Florida in 1978 and I haven't spent any significant time in the city for over 25 years - but I am still blessed with friends and memories. Walking into Villa Bakery and smelling the fresh bread, then sinking my teeth into their World Famous Pizza Bread was every bit as good as I remember. There was coffee at Dessert Oasis with friends from days past (I have been rebuked for referring to them as "old" friends). Add to that Sanders creme puffs with hot fudge, Tiger's games, and Detroit rock and roll and there is still so much good in this struggling old town.

Whether it is thinking about the poverty and struggles, or the blessings and joys of coming home, I know how blessed I am and thankful that God saw fit to reveal himself through the people and places I have experienced in my life.

No comments: