3.07.2010

Typos

I was reading through some old blogs this morning and noticed there were some typos in some (o.k. most of my blogs). It may have been a misspelled word, or the omission of the proper conjunction, but in most cases it didn't do too much harm to the overall content.

My first reaction was to go back and correct all my blogs, but I reconsidered and here is why. A few years ago I wrote and published a book. I proofed the book about a dozen times, then I had three other sets of eyes proof the book (all with exceptional writing and grammar skills). As soon as the book was published and during my first read through, I found typos.

I decided to leave the typos in my blog because they are indicative of two things:
  1. We all have "typos" in our lives. There are things we wish we could go back and correct, but in many cases there isn't much we can do about them - they become part of our developmental DNA.
  2. More importantly, the typos in our lives (the warts and blemishes) tell us a lot about others. Do they always see our mistakes, our flaws, our missteps, or do they look for what is good, honorable and decent?
Many of you may be thinking - "thats just lazy" or "you don't care about quality." Not true, but thank you for making my point. Life is similar in many ways to the blogs I write, you can judge them on grammar, or you can judge them on the content (or both). I prefer you look at the heart and intent of the writer, rather than weather I dotted all my (i's) and crossed all my (t's).

No comments: