12.12.2011

Driven from the fold

This may be one of the more controversial and challenging blogs I have written in a long time. Most people who know me would probably use the term "mainstream" if they were trying to pigeon hole me into some segment of the religious world. I am not particularlly fond of labels and with each passing year there is but one standard I want to be measured by - whether my beliefs are Biblical.

I have had a lot of interactions through the years with people who have "left the church." Some abandon organized religion all-together, others leave simply seeking to conform their faith to their lifestyle (rather than conforming their life to the image of Christ, Rom. 12:1, 2). Sadly, however there is some truth in those who feel they were "driven from the fold," by some well-meaning brother or sister who choose to impose their own set of laws and regulations on a weaker brother.

Now if your dander is starting to stand up on your neck, or you are questioning my "mainstream" theology; let me offer this disclaimer (and I so hate having to do this, but there are those who will attribute to me some agenda other than desiring that Christians help one another get to heaven):
  • First, I am not talking about people who leave because they don't want to listen to sound doctrine.
  • Second, I do believe that people still have a personal responsibility to God, even if their brethren don't behave properly towards them.
  • Finally, those who would cause there brother to stumble need to examine themselves just as thoroughly as they examine the lives of their errant brothers and sisters they are so quick to correct.
All that being said, I am just bone-tired of people who seem to think their bible-knowledge, or righteous indignation gives them liberty to speak to others, or about others in a harsh, derogatory or detrimental way. Being RIGHT is not a license for being rude. Knowing TRUTH does not give us permission to wield our sword of faith with undiscerning vigor. There are Bible warnings to the faithful on how to deal with those around us:

"But take care that this right of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak. For if anyone sees you who have knowledge of eating in an idol's temple, will he not be encouraged, if his conscience is weak, to eat food offered to idolds. And so by your knowledge this weak person is destroyed, the brother for who Christ died. Thus, sinning against your brothers and wounding their conscience when it is weak, you sin against Christ" (I Cor. 8:9-12)

"Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgressions, you who are spiritual should restore them in a spirt of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted." (Gal. 6:1, 2)

The burden in both of these passages is on the "stronger" to set the example, exercise the proper Christian grace, and to even keep watch on themselves. In 30 years of ministry I have had to clean up a lot of messes that were caused simply because someone who wears the name of Christ did not have the discernment or good sense to conduct themselves in a loving, godly manner. If we truly count ourselves to be "stronger" then let's act like it.


4 comments:

Dale said...

Amen and amen.It pains me to see people pushed away from the Lord and His People. And when I have been a part in any way of it I just feel dirty and sinful. Thank you for this brother T. We can be right and be wrong! That never means we should compromise our beliefs (I know you are not saying that) but if our beliefs step on those trying to live for the Lord we might need to examine them much more carefully.

d

Trent Wheeler said...

Thanks Dale, no one is talking about compromise, and there certainly wasn't a "target" in mind with the post. Just one of those things in my personal study I feel convicted about and know I need to do a better job not being judgmental.

JasRandal said...

Essential thoughts, Trent, for all God's people to consider. The times make it necessary to qualify your point, but that doesn't make it any less potent.

D. Esdale said...

I haven't read many of your blogs, but this one caught my eye. I am afraid that many are so spoiled by feeling that they are "safe" from sin, that they forget that pride goes before a fall. If you can't feel other peoples pain when they have temptation and adversity, then maybe God does not trust you to go into that battle and bring yourself and your brother or sister back out. The humble and gentle heart is the strong one!
Danita