8.23.2010

Trust Me

TRUST ME! I don't know how many times God has spoken those words to me, but for some reason this weekend they began to resonate. I have really felt the pressure from a lot of different directions lately and I am not always sure how it will all work out. To be perfectly honest, I am not Mr. Sunshine when I start feeling tired, stressed and losing control.

I'm not sure where the sense of peace comes from. There are questions, important questions about life and my future that are unresolved right now - but I hear God calling me to trust Him.

On the way to work I was reminded of so many others who had this challenge put before them. While those exact words may not be present in the text, there are so many examples of God calling the faithful to trust Him. David was being pursued by his enemies, in danger of losing his life, hiding in the camps of Israel's enemies. There was sense in which God was saying, "do you trust me to make you King?"

Job sufferred financial, familial and personal loss that few of us can imagine. He was frustrated, confused and distraught over the circumstances of life. He cried out the prayer that many of us share when life seems to hard to handle, "Why Me?" God's answer was pointed and direct. "Where were you when I framed the earth, when I shaped the planets, when I created the great expanse of the sea?"  God wanted Job to know that he was in no position to question the wisdom of the Creator and sustainer of all, but Job was also being called to Trust God.

Abraham was called to trust God to fulfill a laundry list of promises; Elijah was challenged to put his trust in the Lord when he fled from Jezebel and Gideon had be believe that God could conquer their enemies with only 300 men.

So now its my turn. Tired, frustrated and stretched to my limits, God whispers softly - do you trust me? Like a small child seeking his Father's approval I respond - "I'm trying Lord, I really am."

No comments: