8.22.2010

Today

It's Sunday, August 22, 2010. What's so special about today? As trite as it may sound, it is the first day of the rest of my life. I wish I could say that I start today without any baggage, history or problems, but 51 years of living makes that impossible. The only way I can repair the challenges of the past and insure a productive and fulfilling future is to change how I live today.

Yes, I have been at this place in my life before - fed up, determined and committed to positive change. How many times have I said, "I am going to eat better, exercise, or work on my personal goals. This time it is going to be different." That is when the voice of doubt and discouragement tries to kick in. What is different this time?  Not a lot really!

Win or lose, victory or defeat, trial or triumph - there have been some very basic character triats that keep me going, keep me believing, keep me moving in the direction of my dreams.
  • Optimism. I believe we can change the future. I believe that God has endowed us with power, given us His Spirit, and wants what is best for His children. I can get kicked in the gut today and still believe that tomorrow is going to be a better day.
  • Opportunity. Everywhere I look there are opportunities for achievement. You don't agree? What about personal fitness. I can eat better, exercise and take steps to being a healthier me. Are you aware in the midst of this lousy economy people are starting new businesses, beginning new careers and pursuing opportunities they have dreamed about for a lifetime.
  • Opposition. We were born into this world with a survival instinct. You have to fight for the things you want. Life isn't delivered to you on a silver platter. I'm sorry but your fortune cookie probably doesn't have today's winning lottery numbers on it. Opposition to our muscles us make us stronger, opposition in life isn't much different. Overcome just one obstacle today and you will be better because of it.
So, thank you father for another day. A day of opportunities!  A day of change! A day of renewal! Forgive me for the failures of yesterday and lead me through the land mines in my tomorrows, but "this is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this Trent. God continues to bless me through our friendship and your blog. You have a gift my brother and I thank you for sharing it with all of us. This is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it! and make a change...TODAY!

Love you~ Mona