11.16.2010

Our escape to 17

I love scrolling through my friends facebook albums. Especially the ones from back when we were kids. It amazes me how they all have changed but I still look like I'm 17. For all the great marketing applications, the chance to reconnect with old friends and the lives I have been able to reach out to because facebook, I realized that one of the real appeals is the ability to be a kid again.

When I read posts and look at some of the things people post on Facebook I think - grow up. Of course, the minute I think that someone sends me an email and says - Trent, grow up! Facebook is an escape from reality. Reconnecting with friends I haven't seen in 15, 20 and some even 30 years brings a flood of childhood memories of the "glory days."  I also realize there are people out there who know far more about me than I might be comfortable revealing on my own.

There is nothing wrong with remembering the good times, reconnecting with old friends, or laughing over silly stunts we pulled in college. The problem is this world's new found social media frenzy is also reconnecting people to so many things that can destroy their lives. The desire to "go back" and relive some of those rebellious moments in time. Married people seeking out their old flames with what turns out to be a tragic experiement over time.

I am not claiming I invulnerability, on the contrary, by speaking openly about the risks and dangers of "reliving my youth," maybe I will be a little more cautious, a little more circumspect, a little more transparent in my actions and behaviors.

No comments: