11.10.2010

Being Different

There are lots of ways to be different. Some people show their uniqueness by the way they dress, others by their strange and quirky personalities. My favorite are the people who claim to express their individuality by wearing the same new fashion trends that are sweeping the nation.

Solomon tells us, "there is nothing new under the sun" (Ecc. 1:9). That puts a bit of a damper in my creative juices. Perhaps a better term than "being different" would be "set apart." When the phrase is used in a biblical setting it means "set apart for a purpose," in much the same way you take out eggs, sugar, flour and milk for the specific purpose of making cookies.

I have learned (but not often enough), that if you really want to be different, to set yourself apart from the crowd there is no greater opportunity than when things really stink. I have met Hospice patients who faced death with such dignity and faith that they inspired everyone around them. I have walked with single parents who despite the loss of a spouse, have held their heads high and focused on the well-being of their children.

How I handle adversity is what really sets me apart from the crowd. My character and true nature are best demonstrated when the deck is stacked against me. Can I persevere in times of trial? Do I respond in a kind and loving way when I feel mistreated? Someone wisely said, "You can no more blame your character on your circumstances than you can blame the mirror for your looks."

We CHOOSE the kind of person we are going to be by the actions we take. If I really want to be different, I will make better choices when faced with adversity. If I really want to be set apart for an holy calling, I will allow people to see that character is best demonstrated in times of trial. If I want to find peace within, then I must learn to manage the storms that are without.

No comments: