10.24.2010

Called to his love

I spent a good portion of my life trying to help fix people (still do that too often). You may wonder what does that mean. I would give advice, counsel people, point out the error of their ways, or maybe give them some scripture references that were relevant to the matter at hand. In other words, I spent a lot of time, energy and hot air trying to get people to see things my way.

Now I am starting to understand that maybe my approach was not the most effective. I am not a doctor or psychologist; I don't have the tools or equipment to heal the world, but I know someone who does. Jesus said, "when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me" (John 12:32). Like Andrew, my job isn't so much to fix the problems of my friends, neighbors or others in the world - my job is to lead them to the great Physician. "Come to me all you who are weary and burdened and  I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn of me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls" (Matthew 11:28, 29).

Now this might upset a few folks, but what if we took a different approach to ministering to people. What if we "lift up Jesus," and let others be drawn to him. Rather than trying to fix things I lead them to the only person who can fix them - Jesus Christ. He has the power to forgive sin, He has the power to transform lives, He has the power of life and death.

I used to study and counsel with people and I would take them to passages of scripture that seemed relevant at the time. Don't you understand that I Cor. 6 condemns such behavior (i.e. your a sinner and your going to hell if you don't stop). If it wasn't that passage it was another that pointed out the folly of their way. I decided to try a different approach to working with sinners (me and others). "How is your relationship with God and Christ right now?"  "Are you aware that Jesus really loves you - even though life really stinks at the moment?"

You may think I have lost my mind, or that I don't care about "behavior modification," but that isn't true. I have simply realized that if I can help a person to deepen their relationship with Christ, to seek and desire to walk with Him and know Him intimately, I have a better shot at "fixing" whatever is wrong.

Let me illustrate. When I was a kid and I messed up, my father would take off his belt and remind me of the folly of my ways. Almost without exception my very next action was to go seek the love and approval of my mother.  In times of sin, troubles and disappointment more than anything in the world, I want to know I am loved.

Maybe that is what is meant by "love covers a multitude of sin."

No comments: