9.19.2011

When your weary . . .

I try not to make important decisions when I am weary! I have found that things are rarely as bad as they seem when you are over-tired and worn down, and things are rarely as great as they appear when you are on an emotional high.

I doesn't really matter what the circumstances are - it always better to ACT with a clear head. There are few decisions in life that require immediate attention (despite what a client, child or even the IRS might tell you). We often speak of time as our enemy, but time can be a great allie when used effectively.

One of the things I love about traveling to Africa is the pace of life. Everything seems to slow down. This irritates a lot of my American friends when I take them over, but I encourage them, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." When you want to eat - food has to be prepared (from scratch). Fish have to be cleaned, eggs have to be gathered, bread has to be baked - so you learn to wait.

Today I am tired. Not sleepy, tired. I have a lot to get done this week, but I also realize my most effective work will not be accomplished just because I sit down at a computer and begin putting words on a page. So rather than produce a sub-par product, today I will organize my work load for the week, outline the articles for the newsletter and prepare myself for a period of peak efficiency later today.

Every day brings us a different challenge to address. Learning how to manage our bodies, our moods and our responsibilities will help us achieve a higher standard of productivity.

No comments: