2.21.2011

A silent cry for help.

All too often I read through the prayer requests at church with just a cursory glance. I see the emails come across my desk, or posts on Facebook and don't really stop to pray like I should. I have such great respect for those people who are open enough to share their struggles and ask friends and family to lift them up before God's altar of grace.

I wonder for every person who verbalizes their struggles how many more are repressing thier silent cries for help. We put on our Sunday go-to-meeting smile along with our sportscoat and tell the world, "I'm fine!" Slowly and deliberately a cancer is eating away at the bone and marrow of our spirits. I think Thoreau was right when he said, "Most men live lives of quiet desparation and go to their graves with their song still in them."

I have my own moments of despair. There are times I feel that the road I am traveling has a dead end sign just ahead, but that is not my greatest fear in life. Most of us want to leave a legacy! We want to do something that will make a difference. It might be money, or power, or serving AIDs victims and malnutrioned children in Africa, but we want know that our stroll along the sands of time has some significant meaning.

I know what I want out of life. It's not a big house or a fancy car. I don't count my success by the number of digits in my retirement account. I want more than anything else for my children to find the song that is within them. I pray that their unique gifts that God has given will rise to the surface and bless their lives and the lives of others.

No comments: