5.19.2010

Summer is coming

"Many people seem to think it foolish, even superstitious, to believe that the world could still change for the better. And it is true that in winter it is sometimes so bitingly cold that one is tempted to say, 'What do I care if there is a summer; its warmth is no help to me now.' Yes, evil often seems to surpass good. But then, in spite of us, and without our permission, there comes at last an end to the bitter frosts. One morning the wind turns, and there is a thaw. And so I must still have hope."  Vincent Van Gogh

When you read the troubled history of someone like Van Gogh and then you read such words of encouragement and optimism, it serves as a stark reminder of the highs and lows we all face in life. What permutation of life came when Vincent penned those words? How many dark nights had he endured before a few calming rays of sunshine warmed him from the cold of a long winter?

I have often been criticized for my unapologetic optimism. Even when life has dealt to me from the bottom of the deck, I have always believed there is a better life ahead of me. I tire of those who claim I am not a realist, that I look at the world through rose-colored glasses. Maybe so, but I am  happier for it.

May has already been a dark, cold winter in my life. A week ago I thought I would buckle under the load. There are still miles for me to run in this current marathon I have started. There are projects to finish, foolish people to deal with, places I must go and challenges that must be faced. In every marathon there is a point where runners ask themselves, "Is it worth it," or "do I have the strength to finish?" Some drop out and others press on to the finish line.

Like Van Gogh, I know that summer is coming. The winter of my discontent will fade under the unrelenting warmth of the summer sun. If  the forecast for your life is dark and rainy, do not despair, sunshine is on its way.

1 comment:

Helyn Young said...

Christians should learn to lean on one another so much more than they do! I appreciate your optimism, your 'Untethered' blog and the insights you share with everyone. This blog has really helped me out of a very difficult patch in my life. I am sure there are many out there who may be reading your articles and not commenting but getting so much good from them. Keep up the good work - it is appreciated!